springer rocker dxf files

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Re: springer rocker dxf files

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Indian Mark wrote:Thanks! OK, Uh...I have the files converted to DXF. I'll try to attach them and see what happens.

OK, It says DXF not allowed. Anyone that wants the files (I converted the rockers, spring perch, spring plate, and top and bottom trees) please send me an email. My email address is: mdforan at frontier dot com. (I spelled it out because of the automatic spamming searching thingies)
If you "zip" the file and attach it, you can post it here. I did on Curt's springer build and it worked just fine.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

FLTSTLE4.zip
Finally!
(21.22 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
This is the dxf file for the flat rockers.
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

You guys watch out on those rocker patterns as the hole spacing from the rear pivot point to the sprung-leg pivot point can come back to bite you depending on the spacing at the upper trees and perch. This is why I've never posted any patterns. You have to look at the total geometry of the fork suspension movement in relation the leg spacing to get the rocker bores properly spaced.
As a very very very general rule of thumb you want the rocker pivot point bores spaced to match the distance between the front and rear leg spacing. For example with a set of forks having a 2.5" spacing between front and rear legs the same dimension can be used on the rocker pivot point spacing. This is just a very general rule as there are several issues that have to be taken into consideration but a lot has to do with the amount of compresion allowed by the springs that you're using which will determine the overall amount of rotation that the rockers will be seeing. Rockers can be looked at as having 3 'attitudes'. One is when thay are fully extended, one is when they are fully compressed and one is when they are inbetween full extension and full compression. You can tune the forks anywhere between these 3 ranges by changing springs or just adding spring shims and/or by changing the distance to the axle pivot point. This is why good springers are always custom made for a specific bike. Off the shelf springers seldom work very well.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

so what is the best way to determine the distance i should be useing? i am at the beginning stages of building a springer for myself and i definatly want to build a few more so ive been stuffing my head with all the info i can get i have a horrible time with all the math but i really do want to learn all i can i like the long bikes and springers in my mind always had that look that made me want to own a bike to begin with . i want the best possible one i can get my fat hands on i like the one i already built but i know i can do better with more info . i know i can physically build one thats the easy part now i want to understand the principals of setting it up properly making it handle and perform like it should
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Trying to keep this in mind, I will try to experiment when I do the mockup. I can always change the DXF file to suit.
Payattention
Payattention
rockers.JPG (157.84 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

see this is the confuseing part i understand this to say the distance doesent matter much am i reading it wrong? i am keeping with the design of the trees and spring plates on top i really like the design .
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

curt wrote:see this is the confuseing part i understand this to say the distance doesent matter much am i reading it wrong? i am keeping with the design of the trees and spring plates on top i really like the design .
I agree with you. We will see what GWW says.

I am going to go with the 2.5" distance and see if thats OK.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Its a matter of geometry , the change of arc created by the change in distance from the rigid fork pivot to the sprung fork pivot is so small that angle change at the sprung fork guide rods and the guide block is almost inperceptable as is the change in extended to compressed length of the affected springs !

The differences between the mentioned rockers is then all cosmetic !
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

curt wrote:
IMG_0027.JPG

someone from here sent me this some time ago i cant remember who. i really like this design anyone ever seen this before is it someones custom design does anyone have deminsions
Found this online ;you may like the design . Dimensions unknown.
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

image wont load
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

nicestyle
nicestyle
OOO...sharp.JPG (47.55 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

those are cool
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Are those the ones hosedragger did? IIRC he did some shaped like a Schrade knife blade.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Bob; Thanks for the JPCYCLES link.

The rockers shown are from a CW build log.

The style would not go unnoticed.
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

They are nice, as theres 4 I think there off the Harman type girder posted by Yona.. Got a link to the build log Hans??

Return to “The Bull Pen”