Chevy truck fabrication!

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
devilman
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey, how about. I'm Schulz Francisco Santiago, Chile. I am a mechanic and welder, and while working in the manufacture of live traps for almost all animals my true passion are the vehicles, automobiles and motorcycles, restoration of some and making other. I congratulate you sign up for this well of knowledge, im participate in other free information community, chatarrero rat rodders Argentina, where we arrived at interesting things about how and why. Personally I have a collection of more less interesting automobiles and motorcycles, a Mercedes Benz 250 1972 automatic in restoration , a 1967 Chevy II soon to be revived as scrap pick up, and clearly my motorcycles, a Honda CB 450 Nighthawk modified as between wars bike is my current project Is a beautifull engine. I'm making the girder fork at this time, a bobber carried Motorrad, my vehicle abitual a Maico MD 250 awaiting restoration parts for, a Yamaha Enticer waiting for a change of 350 cc engine, a BMW R-67, 1954 waiting also a part of the starting lever. Also chassis, engines, tires, and parts to make what I can think of.

I think i can help and contribute in this community.

A hug for a distance.

Chevy truck fabrication!

Post by devilman »

Hi guys and gals! Me again. This is the project I'm working on. An old Chevy to change for Mercedes 16 " wheels. So rotten that it could not be rescued as car...but truck yeah, lol. IM two weeks working on this in my free time and is already very advanced. In the photos you will see are the conditions in different parts of the car, however, some genius, as these bring in hinges hex bolts, put Phillips head screws, i drill heads to remove the bolts ...

Cut roof

Rust on doors

Oxide pillar

The damn bolts

Fenders oxide

CCut roof and pillar section

A resin patch to fix the windshield frame... I kill the previous owner mdf!

The idea of the truck is this, I like it.

Fenders and doors, suitcase and divisions out:

Backdoor cut and welding:

And the final height of the bed:

I wanted to weld the roof to stay, but the space above the door seems a very small, so I will expand. I'll think of as.

Hope you like, on this side of the globe there are very few cars (even junk) restorable, and there are very expensive ... and want a vehicle to move my bikes, so this is the option.

A hug!

Never argue with an idiot, low to his level and beat you by experience.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Re: Chevy truck fabrication!

Post by gearhead1951 »

what did you start with (year and model) ? that modification of a passenger car is called a "ute" ( for utility ) in australia !

that factory version of a chevy is an "el camino" !

good luck with your project and have fun !!

:auto-dirtbike: :banana-gotpics: :popcorn: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Post by Indian Mark »

Wow, interesting project. My two favorite cars are 66-67 Novas, and 39-41 Willys coupes.
A NovaCamino would be pretty cool.
devilman
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey, how about. I'm Schulz Francisco Santiago, Chile. I am a mechanic and welder, and while working in the manufacture of live traps for almost all animals my true passion are the vehicles, automobiles and motorcycles, restoration of some and making other. I congratulate you sign up for this well of knowledge, im participate in other free information community, chatarrero rat rodders Argentina, where we arrived at interesting things about how and why. Personally I have a collection of more less interesting automobiles and motorcycles, a Mercedes Benz 250 1972 automatic in restoration , a 1967 Chevy II soon to be revived as scrap pick up, and clearly my motorcycles, a Honda CB 450 Nighthawk modified as between wars bike is my current project Is a beautifull engine. I'm making the girder fork at this time, a bobber carried Motorrad, my vehicle abitual a Maico MD 250 awaiting restoration parts for, a Yamaha Enticer waiting for a change of 350 cc engine, a BMW R-67, 1954 waiting also a part of the starting lever. Also chassis, engines, tires, and parts to make what I can think of.

A hug for a distance.

Post by devilman »

Gear head Hey, my cousin from australia Erick said the same thing! The car in question is a 1967 Chevy Nova II, national manufacturing (chile). Originally brings a 6cyl 250"four benches ... I had my first car with the 250" turbo engine and could not lift more than 5000 rpm ... should have been around 250 Hp and lightened was 6 secs 0-100 kmh and the odometer was lost needle, hahaha!! instead I have a 192 "6cyl raising seven benches 8000 rpm smoothly and I can mount a vortex that I have with that is hovering according Dyno 300 Hp with ported head, long exhaust, tunnel ram, 2bb two Holley 300 cfm or 6 solex 32 dis. So we must move better and be more economical in consumption! Soon progress photos

Indian, i love novas, my favolites 62-67, 1 y 2 gen.Almost buy a 62 SS V8, 890 Kg weight y 260 Hp! Nice toy!

a hug!.

gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

OK , now you can do this ugly and quick on the cheap or take your time and do it so that it looks "factory".

The second option means retaining as much of the original body as possible . Try cutting the rear of the cab off to include the rear glass and frame but leave all the rest of the roof in place , then weld the rear doors back in and cut them off a few inches (or cm) back from the door jamb and down to a line drawn along the cars "beltline" and then back to the rear of the car from there

Then find a small pickup truck bed and trim it around the bed so that you can fit it into the space between the cars sides (keep the front part of the bed intact) then weld the cut off rear of the cab in behind the front seats after you trim the edges of it and the remaining body & truck bed to match .

you use the roof that you trim off at this point to fill in around the pickup bed to body

Sounds easy but it aint !

Good luck and keep posting !! :auto-dirtbike: :banana-gotpics: :popcorn: :popcorn:
devilman
Tourist

A hug for a distance.

Post by devilman »

What you mention is my first thought. Then I thought: where the hell finds it a donor! So I preferred to do it more expensive and time consuming making all the pieces by handjob. I am a good craftsman with steel plate, so in my spare time, getting there makes all embossed by hand to the bed. The anger windshield backwards forming a concave support to bed, so I win in surface charge to close the door to the bed with a motorcycle on it. I'm not mean doing manual work, some years ago i restore a Falcon convertible without changing panels, was long but not as much, I have insomnia. That falcon look like jewel. But that was business, this is pleasure for me, lol.

Photos soon!

A hug!

gearhead1951
Builder

Post by gearhead1951 »

So you know already how easy it aint ! good luck !!

:banana-gotpics: :popcorn: :popcorn:
devilman
Tourist

A hug for a distance.

Post by devilman »

gearhead1951 wrote:So you know already how easy it aint ! good luck !!

:banana-gotpics: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Thanks men!

One "Gringo" do this:

A novamino call. Its pretty, but the rear of the roof do not like, too thin ... also varied the tail drop in bed to give up, I love the original line! That's an example of something that I will not do. Soon pictures!

a hug!

devilman
Tourist

A hug for a distance.

Post by devilman »

Photos!

from afar

The long above the windowdoor is very small, I want to change the inclination of the roof on the back side of the window to not hit my head on the ceiling each time you enter!

Prolongued door

I've been working slowly because I was thinking how to adapt precious wheels that I give me for Christmas in my Golf, a Mille Miglia 15 "with 205/60/15 new tires to buy for 350 USD ... a gift! Wheels Centers are 65 mm and the masses of the Golf of 67 mm ... i manufactures a support line for the rectifier manual and patiently let perfect! Now I need to paint and is just like new! truth I needed wider tires, this VW has now 170 hp with few modifications ... this engine is very factory restricted!

A hug!

hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

A really interesting project. Keep upthe good work.

http://www.superchevy.com/features/nova ... om_hybrid/
devilman
Tourist

A hug for a distance.

Post by devilman »

Guys, how are you! At least this week is no time between jobs to bite the Chevy. Defined the subject roof, if not the best way but this.

Fotos!

Starting.

Finish this part!

Let's see if tomorrow Dent and fixed portions pillars!

A hug!

yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

This is what i do in my day job.... I used a 67 II wagon years ago to do mine ( 1975 )Makes the bed easier..... Cut a fender in to the front bed panet and use a big Clamp to fab a wheel chock ....handle on the inside and to tiedowns in the rear corners and you are good for the bike.....Here is what i am working on to haul my Northstar Trike...
Astro Pkup.jpg
Astro Pkup.jpg (30.87 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
I replaced almost every panel of this 69 Firebird Convertible......The body alone was valued at $20,000 as an original, when finish...I did not get that ...I only got $1500, as labor.... I will be watching this post .... let me know if I can help... ; )
100_1969.JPG
100_1969.JPG (29.85 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

Tack every thing together about 3 to 4 inches apart then work with hammer and dolly to stretch welds then do one spot at a time , and it will keep the warpage down ...cool with air and not wet rag or water hardens the metal and tends to crack later thru daily use .... I have an old 56 Chevy 210 sedan , may be time for another one ... also have a 65 Mustang that I am going to make a Shelby Fastback ... niece has the paper work for one...
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
devilman
Tourist

A hug for a distance.

Post by devilman »

If I can help you with something tell me, that if we are a bit away, I'm in the southern hemisphere! Hehe. Excellent work my friend! :bow-blue:

This is not my first experience producing parts with what is at hand, and by dint of trial and error to get a welding technique pointing the sheetmetal with low amperage, the material deforms and always have to delete specific differences with hammers and tass , the result is almost perfect. The minimum difference is smoothed with polyester putty and primer. I've come a long way, the roof is almost finished, I'm defining the position of the windscreen and reinforcing the chassis. I had to do it again because not enough had leveled the bodywork ... pictures soon!

A hug!

Return to “The Bull Pen”