no good deed goes unpunished!!!!

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

no good deed goes unpunished!!!!

Post by Dusty-Dave »

A slightly incoherent pain and drug induced rambling story

On June 8, I left my house in northern New Mexico headed to Albuquerque to fly to Georgia to donate stem cells to my little brother who has bone marrow cancer similar to leukemia. About 50 miles down the road the transmission in the Chevy quit. one of the cooling lines was out of the trans pumping all my oil on the ground. Got ahold of Pablo and he closed his shop and towed me to his house, then stole his wife's car and got me to the airport just in time. Seemed like a rough start but sailed the rest of the way. Started the daily injections that cause me to grow stem cell and release them into my blood. The pamphlets said that there might be light bone aches. After two days I felt like I was in a bar fight and every body in the bar beat and stomped me until they got tired. But I toughed it out until the day of collection, when I had to be at the Hospital buy 06:00 so I could wait till 08:00 to get a central line in my carotid artery which I think they drove in with a hammer but I was stoned enough I didn't care. Then off for one more shot, then finally in to donate, A cute nurse wearing a rain coat attached all 4 of the lines coming out of my neck to my personal centrifuge.
The raincoat she put on every time she handled my lines worried me a bit. Other than my right wrist and elbow hurting more and more a boring day. Then the lab called to say we didn't get enough stem cells, so back again tomorrow. By the time I got there I was carrying my right arm it hurt so bad. They hooked me back to the machine and had a Doc look at my arm got sympathy and Tramadol. But later got a call that we had enough and she pulled the iv out of my neck, made me a little nervous when she that if it started bleeding to put a finger over it and go to the nearest ER cause I could bleed out in about 3 minutes through a open carotid. My arm woke me up about midnight with incredible pain that kept me up all night. Went back to the transplant clinic and they decided I had gout in my arm had never heard of gout anywhere but the foot or kidney stones, but the doc said that while donating the chair kept my legs higher than my arms. The next day I was packing to fly home and got got a frantic call from my daughter that the transplant clinic called and I had an rare dangerous infection. I had given them my cell number a half dozen times so they called the place I wasn't. I called them and they said that a rare gam negative infection showed up in my stem cells and I needed to get right to the main hospital. So I called my sister-in-law and she arranged a ride to the hospital. and led me right to an isolation room didn't even go through admitting. Standard infectious disease room with a changing and scrubbing room where they could gown, mask and bootie up before coming in. Immediately hooked me to a tree of antibiotics that the nurse said were industrial strength, They had me more than a little worried! I have had broken bones that didn't hurt as bad as my arm! I couldn't get them to give me enough pain meds, couldn't more than a few minutes at a time and if I did get to sleep they woke me up to draw blood. After 3 days of me bitching screaming and crying they still hadn't found any infection in my blood or treated my gout!! That night they finally started treating my gout and gave me some oxycontin Actually slept a little that night! The infectious disease doctor finally showed up a few days later and he politely said that they were all morons and finally talked them into discontinuing the antibiotics for 2 days to see if I got worse. Of course I got better they were treating my gout! They finally decided that it was a lab error or contamination and gout so they let me escape. By then Dianne had cancelled my return flight so it looks like I will fly home on the 4th 4 days short of a month and they still don't know if they can use the cells I donated!!!!!!! It seems through the drug haze like maybe Pablo said my Chevy was fixed! And my little brother said that there is nothing like good quality family time.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: no good deed goes unpunished!!!!

Post by curt »

oh man hope everything gets better for you
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

My sister in law Dianne just scolded me for leaving out the texting woman that ran us off the road one morning ruining a tire causing us to change cars to her backup Chrysler that immediately lost a battery.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

Great googly moogly, man. nothing like a good medical scare (real or based on a total screw up) and assorted unrelated incidents to make your life interesting.

in any case, i hope you get to feeling better soon, and i'll be praying for your quick recovery.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Finally got a call from the committee of Idiots and they have decided to use my stem cells! Don starts his Chemo again Sunday and gets my stem cells the next Friday!!! Although it still feels like Chuck Berry and Hunter Thompson got together to write my life for the last month at least I maybe did what I came here to do!!!

Dusty
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

Dusty-Dave wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:03 pm Finally got a call from the committee of Idiots and they have decided to use my stem cells! Don starts his Chemo again Sunday and gets my stem cells the next Friday!!! Although it still feels like Chuck Berry and Hunter Thompson got together to write my life for the last month at least I maybe did what I came here to do!!!

Dusty
well done fella - not all heroes wear capes :clap:
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Wow, I'm sorry to learn about all these troubles. Hope your brother is doing well.
Fortunately he has you to rely on!

I just talked with a friend yesterday, he has been going thru the same thing since Jan 2020.
Explained the whole process. Very eye opening.
He had to go thru 3 days of stem cell harvesting before the chemo pills.
I guess he didn't have a good donor.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Not so well he is the one I'm building the urn for.
Dusty
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Sorry to hear that. Nothing hurts like loosing family. You're still showing him love tho.
My brother was cremated. He loved to shoot, clean and work on his guns.
I had revolvers put on the upper corners of his headstone.
He would like that a lot.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL

Return to “The Bull Pen”