Shout out to Railroad Bob

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
DKillam
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan - it's me again! PLEASE let me join!! My password is "peanut brittle" and I like to share. :) Thanks for taking on this huge undertaking - I'll try not to disappoint - after all, I'm not through with my build stuff!

Shout out to Railroad Bob

Post by DKillam »

Hi Bob - long time no see. Looks like you've got the whole place to your self! Mind if I pull up a chair and visit for a while? :popcorn:

P.S. - I read your thread about Cruise Night in Abilene. We went about 10 years ago and enjoyed the cars and the laid back atmosphere - good times!

RailRoad Bob 001_01.jpg
RailRoad Bob 001_01.jpg (117.91 KiB) Viewed 5090 times
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Re: Shout out to Railroad Bob

Post by railroad bob »

Wow, good to hear you're still kicking it Don!

Last I heard you retired and moved. You might be interested to learn I bought some land north of Tye, and trying to get a winter house/shop built there so I can snowbird. Right under Dyess flight path. :D
I get to see the cool shit up close and personal.
Great neighbors. Developing some new friendships.

I think you finished your shovel project?
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
DKillam
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan - it's me again! PLEASE let me join!! My password is "peanut brittle" and I like to share. :) Thanks for taking on this huge undertaking - I'll try not to disappoint - after all, I'm not through with my build stuff!

Post by DKillam »

railroad bob wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:06 pm Wow, good to hear you're still kicking it Don!

Last I heard you retired and moved. You might be interested to learn I bought some land north of Tye, and trying to get a winter house/shop built there so I can snowbird. Right under Dyess flight path. :D
I get to see the cool shit up close and personal.
Great neighbors. Developing some new friendships.

I think you finished your shovel project?
Good to know you're still kicking, as well!
Well - I neither retired nor moved, however, retirement from the county is on the horizon - December 31, this year! I'll have 35 years, 30 of which was spent in the facilities maintenance department and another 5 as a construction project manager.
Your future home should be nice and quiet. :-? Barbara has a cousin in Abilene that we see on occasion. How often do you come to Tye? Next time we're up that way, maybe we could stop and visit for a few minutes.
As far as the shovel goes - it doesn't. lol! I got to a stopping point (need to finish brakes, wiring and seat and a few small items) and put it aside for 5 years. I uncovered it a month or so ago to see what it would take to cut the neck and build a springer for it. Although the girder will work, I've always wanted to build a springer, so here I am...
While I wasn't working on the bike, I built a gasser style '48 Chevy pickup and most recently a '31 Ford coupe (383 SBC, 7000R4, 9" Ford, etc.), plus bought a '27 roadster pickup. I've got too many vehicles in the stable, including a '84 FXSB (shovel) as well as a couple of daily drivers. Want to buy a vehicle???
I'll see if I have some pics of the bike, because :text-worthless:
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Here are a few shots of my rides in TX...

1975 4X4 Highboy
IMG_3342.JPG
IMG_3342.JPG (199.05 KiB) Viewed 5081 times
1991 FXR
FXR in Texas edited.jpg
FXR in Texas edited.jpg (426.4 KiB) Viewed 5081 times
1968 AMX
1968 AMX left side.jpg
1968 AMX left side.jpg (113.87 KiB) Viewed 5081 times
TANSTAAFL
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

And if you can, I would like to see your other rides you built.
TANSTAAFL
DKillam
Tourist

Post by DKillam »

railroad bob wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:21 pm And if you can, I would like to see your other rides you built.
Nice looking rides Bob! The AMX is is really nice (I'm a sucker for vintage hot rods/cars). That 'ol Ford truck looks like a workhorse (very well taken care of). Also, excellent paint job on the bike - did you do that?
Give me a little while to figure out posting pics. I have to resize everything first. Here is my first try:
'48 front_1.JPG
'48 front_1.JPG (55 KiB) Viewed 5074 times
Water Valley Park 047_01.jpg
Water Valley Park 047_01.jpg (53.41 KiB) Viewed 5073 times
Attachments
Shovel assembly 002 (Large).jpg
Shovel assembly 002 (Large).jpg (163.34 KiB) Viewed 5074 times
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

the amx is sweet but i love the shovel
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Nice rides Don! My cousin (Rob) has his grandads old Chevy farm truck, restored with a few upgrades, L6 motor. Love the old Chevys.

Next time I come south I'll let you know. One of my several cousins (Larry) has a deer lease west of Winters. We spent some time there in Jan. I wound up with some very tasty venison fillets and summer sausage.

I paid for the paint job, but never again. I've dinged it twice the last few years. Doing my own from now on. The painter is in Henderson,NV. He didn't dry the tank interior after wet sanding. Mailed it to my cousin (Dean) in Abilene and when I opened the box a few months later, there was considerable rust residue. Big PITA to clean it out without damaging the new paint. Workmanship and artwork seems to be fine tho, other than that.

Like so many other things, my place at Tye is in progress.
32 foot camper trailer with elec. I did get a carport last year, 24x40.
Covers most of the camper, and the AMX is sandwiched between the 75 Ford and my Duramax. The other pickup belongs to one of the crew who put it up. I'm using the blue connex for a tool crib.
IMG_5611.JPG
IMG_5611.JPG (199.72 KiB) Viewed 5067 times
TANSTAAFL
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

It's been years but I think I remember you built the girder. Love the lines of the Shovel, stance looks perfect.
TANSTAAFL
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Forgot to mention, I'm surrounded by mesquite, prickly pear, and rattlesnakes.
I think of it as trespasser deterrent!
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (405.42 KiB) Viewed 5066 times
Found a den, killed 8 last year.
TANSTAAFL
DKillam
Tourist

Post by DKillam »

Nice place Bob! I like your trespasser deterrent.
DKillam
Tourist

Post by DKillam »

'31 Ford coupe. Last build - not finished, but I don't care - it runs real good!
'31 Ford coupe_01.JPG
'31 Ford coupe_01.JPG (55.48 KiB) Viewed 5035 times
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Man, that's a nice 31 Don. Perfect stance. Are those ARE wheels?
They fill the rear wheel well perfectly. They have a lot of cool designs.
SBC looks like. Bet it's a blast.

And some folks believe no rod is ever completed. There is always something being worked on.

Main thing is you're driving it and having fun.
TANSTAAFL
DKillam
Tourist

Post by DKillam »

Yep - ARE 205 Torq-Thrust II 15" x 14" with Hoosier LT 29 x 18.5R15 on the rear. The John's Industries 9" Ford rear end was narrowed to keep the tires within the fenders - like a pro-street setup - 4 link with panhard bar and coilovers. Pete and Jakes did the chassis and I modified it to accept a trailer receiver. Mustang II IFS, SBC 383 Blueprint engine and 700R4 trans. It's a very streetable rod after I installed and adjusted a governor kit, but pretty rough riding on some of the streets here in San Angelo - imagine that!
Like I said - I hardly ever really finish anything. I think I have a touch of ADHD... :D
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

A receiver hitch, hmmm. Thinking Power Tour?
700R4 is a great tranny. Can cruise highways and still have low end grunt.

I have an AMX project with a similar rear end set up.
IMG_1010.JPG
IMG_1010.JPG (379.24 KiB) Viewed 5025 times
IMG_1009.JPG
IMG_1009.JPG (358.89 KiB) Viewed 5025 times
TANSTAAFL

Return to “The Bull Pen”