Fixtures for welding tables

Post info here on welding jigs and fixtures.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Fixtures for welding tables

Post by railroad bob »

In my work, frequently I spend time around pipe welders and fitters. I've seen some very useful site-built fixtures fabbed with whatever materials were on hand.
I've started taking pix of some of them, thinking I could use the ideas to fab something for my own table. These usually look look different from each other because
of using different materials, but the features are generally the same for each one.
Normally they are adjustable on 2 planes, or axis if you prefer. They also allow 360 degree rotation on one axis, and can be clamped or fixed in place.
I have a series of pictures of 3 different fixtures (A,B & C), and a couple of pix of a tool and part holder (D) for a table.
I'll post these as time allows.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Re: Fixtures for welding tables

Post by railroad bob »

Weld FixtureA1.jpg
Weld FixtureA1.jpg (165.52 KiB) Viewed 7050 times
Weld FixtureA2.jpg
Weld FixtureA2.jpg (170.12 KiB) Viewed 7050 times
Weld FixtureA3.jpg
Weld FixtureA3.jpg (192.1 KiB) Viewed 7050 times
Weld FixtureA4.jpg
Weld FixtureA4.jpg (178.68 KiB) Viewed 7050 times
Weld FixtureA5.jpg
Weld FixtureA5.jpg (169.13 KiB) Viewed 7050 times
TANSTAAFL
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

On the fixture above you can see the swivel, or hinge, and a level adjuster with locknut on the other end. There is also a clamp above the hinge area, to clamp the pipe insert.
The level adjuster is made from all thread welded to the base.
The steel plate on the bottom is called a strongback, used to stiffen the fixture.
The 3rd pic shows the turntable inserted into the fixture and clamped.
In the 5th pic, you can see a pipe extending below the corner of the table. The fixture has a smaller pipe inserted into that and is clamped in place while working, or can be removed.
The small vertical tube was tack welded for a temporary rod holder.

Edit: forgot to mention the work holder inserted into the fixture. Built on-site, it is welded to a pipe which has been sized to fit into the fixture, and can be rotated and clamped to allow easy access for welding a part. The flat plate has slotted holes for easy bolt up of the work piece.
TANSTAAFL
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Here is a similar style, built with different materials. This one is welded to the table and uses bearings for the turntable rotation. Bearings are mounted to a plate which is hinged and has a level adjuster.
Weld FixtureB1.jpg
Weld FixtureB1.jpg (141.01 KiB) Viewed 7028 times
Weld FixtureB2.jpg
Weld FixtureB2.jpg (134.3 KiB) Viewed 7028 times
Weld FixtureB3.jpg
Weld FixtureB3.jpg (143.69 KiB) Viewed 7028 times
Weld FixtureB4.jpg
Weld FixtureB4.jpg (126.68 KiB) Viewed 7028 times
Weld FixtureB5.jpg
Weld FixtureB5.jpg (127.25 KiB) Viewed 7028 times
TANSTAAFL
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Same with this 3rd style, different materials, same basic features...
Weld FixtureC1.jpg
Weld FixtureC1.jpg (177.63 KiB) Viewed 7028 times
Weld FixtureC2.jpg
Weld FixtureC2.jpg (152.18 KiB) Viewed 7028 times
Weld FixtureC3.jpg
Weld FixtureC3.jpg (158.19 KiB) Viewed 7028 times
Weld FixtureC4.jpg
Weld FixtureC4.jpg (138.64 KiB) Viewed 7028 times
Weld FixtureC5.jpg
Weld FixtureC5.jpg (114.65 KiB) Viewed 7028 times
TANSTAAFL
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

This is a removable fixture for tools and materials. Fits into a hole in the table top, spins.
Weld FixtureD2.jpg
Weld FixtureD2.jpg (164.88 KiB) Viewed 7028 times
And this is an interesting way to cap a pipe or tube...
Weld FixtureD1.jpg
Weld FixtureD1.jpg (127.1 KiB) Viewed 7028 times
TANSTAAFL
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Fabricated tool stand to keep your multiple grinders handy...
tool stand-1.jpg
tool stand-1.jpg (174.85 KiB) Viewed 6952 times
tool stand.jpg
tool stand.jpg (188.93 KiB) Viewed 6952 times
TANSTAAFL
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Hi railroad bob, very cool fixtures man. Have a great christmas and happy, safe new year. :D :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Return to “Jig and Fixture Building”