My 91 FXR EVO engine

Like it says above.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: My 91 FXR EVO engine

Post by curt »

sucks everything takes so long to get anymore
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Truth right there...

Having problems finding the right gasket for the cylinder base.
Local independent ordered a set, but they were for S&S. ID was too large, but mostly the bolt holes were wrong locations

Terry Stewart said he can get the gaskets, but very expensive. And I'm not sure they would be right. Still searching.

No rush, I'm working an 8 week hitch up close to the Yukon River, so no way to work on personal projects for a while.

Still surfing for info and parts tho.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

A few pix of the heads…
The order is reversed but they show the compression release from top and side, the material I’m considering for levers, and the position for operating the lever and release. I think the levers are from part of a light fixture, some scrap laying around.
Soft enough to bend and shape. I want to have an inverted cup shape above the releases and make a hinge that will mount to the underside of the head fin. Haven’t worked that out yet.
Attachments
F194CAF6-7EC5-4E42-BC4A-8E03B2654A21.jpeg
F194CAF6-7EC5-4E42-BC4A-8E03B2654A21.jpeg (50.73 KiB) Viewed 11325 times
3AC2D904-267D-47AF-9829-5729102D2B87.jpeg
3AC2D904-267D-47AF-9829-5729102D2B87.jpeg (72.92 KiB) Viewed 11325 times
677E92D9-029C-4669-999A-D31960F839D9.jpeg
677E92D9-029C-4669-999A-D31960F839D9.jpeg (78.99 KiB) Viewed 11325 times
FAA02648-6BD1-4A08-9A12-ED1AD17671CF.jpeg
FAA02648-6BD1-4A08-9A12-ED1AD17671CF.jpeg (56.32 KiB) Viewed 11325 times
E9E9159D-D3A9-4BB9-9822-4E803A8AD822.jpeg
E9E9159D-D3A9-4BB9-9822-4E803A8AD822.jpeg (75.77 KiB) Viewed 11325 times
TANSTAAFL
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

Hey Bob, loving the build! had any luck making progress in the last bit?

take care,
-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Hi Dan.
I got home a few days ago from a 6 week hitch. I was working up near the Yukon River.
Everything was on hold while gone.
BUT, I think I'll take the parts and a few tools with me next time up.
Sometimes I have some free time during and after work.
And there are a few good fabricators on the crew.
One guy is from Arizona. He does custom work, suspensions and body, when home.
Brian Bay at InclusiveMetal.com

Sharp guy.

I paid for the pistons, they're in the works. Having problems finding the right cyl base gaskets.
Everyone wants to sell me the S&S gaskets but the bolt pattern is wrong.
I have Delkron cases with an over sized cyl bore.
Piston arrival is weeks away, so no immediate need.
TANSTAAFL
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Through working this season, except for a possible short call out. Currently, I've been asked to be available for a project beginning mid to late February. Alyeska plans to replace a 48" mainline check valve. Considerable work. It's about 45 miles south of Deadhorse, so I expect 12 hour days because of the drive each day. They pipeline will remain in service, so there will be 2 bypasses required to maintain flow.

Current status of the engine rebuild:
Machine shop finish honed the cylinders for the new pistons. Could not find proper gaskets for the cylinders bases, so I'm gonna try out an unusual material. I've been told by a builder that he has used Garlock material, so I obtained some 1/16" thick material to use.

Not sure when I'll start assembly, other stuff keeps coming up. I'll have pics tho.
TANSTAAFL
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

New pistons from CP
New pistons from CP
New pistons from CP
New CP Pistons.jpg (84.54 KiB) Viewed 11172 times
TANSTAAFL
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Picked up my cylinders from the local machine shop. One of several here. It's a new business started last year, but I've know the owner about 10 years. One of the finest welders I've ever met.
Cylinder.jpg
Cylinder.jpg (107.63 KiB) Viewed 11172 times
Cylinder Bore.jpg
Cylinder Bore.jpg (85.33 KiB) Viewed 11172 times
TANSTAAFL
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

This is the Garlock gasket material I mentioned in an earlier post. I'll use the thinner which is right at 1/16". These are about 6"x6" so I should have plenty to trim to size, as long as I don't screw up.
Garlock.jpg
Garlock.jpg (68.63 KiB) Viewed 11172 times
Garlock thk.jpg
Garlock thk.jpg (69.65 KiB) Viewed 11172 times
TANSTAAFL
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Thanks for the Garlock reference. Seems like a superior product.

You may be familiar with the following procedure.

I watch Allen Millyard's builds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZvDnOMf8C0

https://youtu.be/ZZvDnOMf8C0?t=858

Return to “Motors, Transmissions, & Drive Systems”