Is this runable?

Like it says above.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Is this runable?

Post by Jeff L »

or is the piston trashed?This is the middle cylinder.The pitting isnt that deep,& the other 2 look like new.Can I sand down the pits to get it sort of smooth or is it junk?
piston.JPG
piston.JPG (29.32 KiB) Viewed 4957 times
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
oadamo
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi my names adam. iam from the west midlands and iam building a trike at the moment for a mate, but iam going to build my own chopper bike after i finish the trike. but in the mean time iam collecting parts ready for the big build.

Re: Is this runable?

Post by oadamo »

that will be fine just make sure the rings are good or new.
adam
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

I filed down the pitted area, & it looks alot better.Thinkin if I do run it, Ill put it in one of the outter cylinders.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
oadamo
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi my names adam. iam from the west midlands and iam building a trike at the moment for a mate, but iam going to build my own chopper bike after i finish the trike. but in the mean time iam collecting parts ready for the big build.

Post by oadamo »

use some emery cloth to smooth the area, and you will be fine. i have run will a lot worse then that and its been ok.
adam
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

Don't change cylinders with it, they wear together. Just hone the bore and clean up the rough spots with emory, as previously mentioned, the dome is pretty thick there. The cylinder to skirt clearance is the important part. In my years of hotrod building I have had to cut some substantial valve relief notches, so I am confident that you are safe on the pitting.
We can do anything, impossible just takes longer.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

As much as I would like to of just clean up & reuse that piston, something didnt sit right with me.I ordered a new set today.
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

With you on that one Jeff...will make a fine rear light!!
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

Thats the bottom line. If you don't trust it, don't run it.
We can do anything, impossible just takes longer.

Return to “Motors, Transmissions, & Drive Systems”