03 Sportster Engine Rubber Mounted

Like it says above.
Boss9
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a guy who likes motorcycles. Can never have too many. Finally got out of the corporate gig in automation, and started my own business. I make motorcycle parts, (not custom chopper parts at this time). Do my own design and manufacturing. I do CAD, CAM, and CNC. Always wanted to build my own bike (chopper-bobber-prostreet). Finally decided to get started. So I'm here, looking at ideas, soaking up information. Nice place here, think I'll stay a while.

03 Sportster Engine Rubber Mounted

Post by Boss9 »

Trying to find out if it is necessary to rubber mount the newer (2003 +..?) Sportster engines. Since I probably won't have the donor bike, I won't be able to tell what the factory mounting was like. Or perhaps I'm just better off getting an older Sportster engine?

Any thoughts? Any transmission better than the other to mount in a Bobber?

Yeah, it's a new guy question.
I'm too ignorant to know that this isn't suppose to work...
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Re: 03 Sportster Engine Rubber Mounted

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Some one will answer, tho it may take a little time.

MaxTheGardener did a chop with Buell power.

Maybe try the XL Forum as well.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/modules/Jig/index.php

Good luck &keep us posted.
Customize IT
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am a young punk kid that needs some help building himself a chopper!!

I am sorry I only have a hotmail account???

Tell me what I need to do I need help with my girder!!!

PLESE HELP????

[url=http://imgur.com/8saXkqN][img]http://i.imgur.com/8saXkqNl.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/pXJZqQ0][img]http://i.imgur.com/pXJZqQ0l.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/T3Q4Ev4][img]http://i.imgur.com/T3Q4Ev4l.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/fsXGYQw][img]http://i.imgur.com/fsXGYQwl.jpg[/img][/url]

Post by Customize IT »

Sorry I can not help never had a Harley yet.

But I am interested to know.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Boss9 wrote:Trying to find out if it is necessary to rubber mount the newer (2003 +..?) Sportster engines. Since I probably won't have the donor bike, I won't be able to tell what the factory mounting was like. Or perhaps I'm just better off getting an older Sportster engine?

Unless you saw the factory transmission off the back of the cases there is little choice in a transmission but what the factory cast as part of the cases. Can't help with the particulars on the mounts they are way newer than anything I ever owned. But I can't see why you couldn't make any replacement mount you want to.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
Boss9
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a guy who likes motorcycles. Can never have too many. Finally got out of the corporate gig in automation, and started my own business. I make motorcycle parts, (not custom chopper parts at this time). Do my own design and manufacturing. I do CAD, CAM, and CNC. Always wanted to build my own bike (chopper-bobber-prostreet). Finally decided to get started. So I'm here, looking at ideas, soaking up information. Nice place here, think I'll stay a while.

Post by Boss9 »

Dusty-Dave wrote:
Boss9 wrote:Trying to find out if it is necessary to rubber mount the newer (2003 +..?) Sportster engines. Since I probably won't have the donor bike, I won't be able to tell what the factory mounting was like. Or perhaps I'm just better off getting an older Sportster engine?

Unless you saw the factory transmission off the back of the cases there is little choice in a transmission but what the factory cast as part of the cases. Can't help with the particulars on the mounts they are way newer than anything I ever owned. But I can't see why you couldn't make any replacement mount you want to.
Dusty

Transmission wise I thought some were 4 speed, and some were 5 speed. I have an Buell XB9, which is of course a 5 speed. Older Sportsters were 4 speed ?

Looks like I just go with what I can find, and make it fit. Half the fun of it anyway. Was originally wondering how a vibration dampened engine did without vibration dampening.
Think I got a handle on it from the Sportster guys.
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

Since you're going to get a doner bike anyways I think it would be easier to just modify the stock frame and keep the stock mounts and tabs. That's most of the Sporty guys end up doing. So far from the feedback I get nobody yet is really happy with any of the frames they've built or bought from aftermarket suppliers. Biggest problem is that the Sporty motors just sit to high in the frame and then to get a nice looking 'stance' on the bike the frames end up being very very low in the rear and tend to scrape. Most die-hard builders just live with the problem. The best of the Paughco frames have 3.5" clearance and the stock bike has 7.5 to 8.25". I guess I forgot to ask if you were building a hardtail or a swingarm. No sense building a rubber mount hardtail so I guess you're doing a swingarm frame.
Boss9
NewB

Post by Boss9 »

gww25 wrote:Since you're going to get a doner bike anyways I think it would be easier to just modify the stock frame and keep the stock mounts and tabs. That's most of the Sporty guys end up doing. So far from the feedback I get nobody yet is really happy with any of the frames they've built or bought from aftermarket suppliers. Biggest problem is that the Sporty motors just sit to high in the frame and then to get a nice looking 'stance' on the bike the frames end up being very very low in the rear and tend to scrape. Most die-hard builders just live with the problem. The best of the Paughco frames have 3.5" clearance and the stock bike has 7.5 to 8.25". I guess I forgot to ask if you were building a hardtail or a swingarm. No sense building a rubber mount hardtail so I guess you're doing a swingarm frame.

I'm building my own hardtail frame. I have the equipment and the space. I'm sure I'll learn what not to do on the first one, and maybe the second one will be better. Have a few ideas drawn up, but need the engine on hand to get them ironed out. I've looked at the aftermarket frames, and none fit my criteria.

Will probably just stay away from any rubber mounted engine stuff and make my life simpler. Sounds like a can of worms at this point.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

had a 75 iron head sporty loved that bike regret selling that one only bad point was the super long brake arm was cheap pot metal . had to be super tight to not strip but it was a knife edge between tight and snap. it was the first year they switched the brake and shifter to the other side . dam thing ran like a top and I beat the hell out of it.
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Boss9
NewB

Post by Boss9 »

curt wrote:had a 75 iron head sporty loved that bike regret selling that one only bad point was the super long brake arm was cheap pot metal . had to be super tight to not strip but it was a knife edge between tight and snap. it was the first year they switched the brake and shifter to the other side . dam thing ran like a top and I beat the hell out of it.
I actually have a cad model of a 76 Iron Head sporty engine that I've been using for the frame mockup. It's a cool lookin motor !
Also have a 42 Panhead cad model, but doubt I really would go find a 42 Panhead to use in my first scratch built bike. The Iron Head is a possibility. Seen a few for sale.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

wish I could afford a pan . ill bet you could do a much better job on the linkage than Harley did
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Post by krymis »

would you be willing to share the cad models and some hard point measurements to make sure it is scaled right.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

i'm sure you mean a 42 knucklehead or a 52 panhead, right?

as for the rubber mount sporty in a rigid frame without the rubber mounts, there are plenty of folks doing it over here. of course you'll feel a lot more vibration than you would in the original frame with rubber mounts, but then again if you were worried about vibration i doubt you'd be building a rigid frame, eh?

take care,
-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Boss9
NewB

Post by Boss9 »

krymis wrote:would you be willing to share the cad models and some hard point measurements to make sure it is scaled right.
Sure I can share the Cad model, it's in Solidworks, and it's a big file. I'll get my Boss (wife) to put it up on our website in a few days, and send you the link
Boss9
NewB

Post by Boss9 »

budoka wrote:i'm sure you mean a 42 knucklehead or a 52 panhead, right?

as for the rubber mount sporty in a rigid frame without the rubber mounts, there are plenty of folks doing it over here. of course you'll feel a lot more vibration than you would in the original frame with rubber mounts, but then again if you were worried about vibration i doubt you'd be building a rigid frame, eh?

take care,
-dan
Since I only have it as a CAD file, your probably right :D
I'm building a rigid, but having less vibration wouldn't hurt any either.
The design is coming along. Looks like I need to make a bit more room for an oil tank and battery, plus a few other changes. Still playing with the Girder frontend layout also.
Meantime starting on the frame jig. It's our busy time of the season now, so not much free time until later this fall.
Boss9
NewB

Post by Boss9 »

krymis wrote:would you be willing to share the cad models and some hard point measurements to make sure it is scaled right.
I found where I had downloaded the engine cad file on the web. Here is the link https://grabcad.com/library/xlh1000-engine

Return to “Motors, Transmissions, & Drive Systems”