carb tuning

Use this area for posts and questions that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

carb tuning

Post by curt »

today I installed aem wideband air fuel guage in my 67 chevy c10 to better help me tune my holley . I was thinking how easy it would be to make it portable so I could use it to tune bikes better . I have always used vacume gauges and gotten them really close but wow what a difference . you can see what its doing all the way through from idle to full on in real time instead of just the idle and reading the plugs and seat of the pants feel . ill grant you most of us can probably do real well with that method but nothing beats real numbers . and no dyno guy running up your engine past the redline to see what it will do you can do this in your driveway easy enough all by yourself and be just as accurate . there is only one downside I can see for a motorcycle is that you have to weld a o2 sensor bung in the pipes but in most cases I think it could be hidden . you dont have to keep the big o2 sensor on the bike get a plug and plug it off after you tune it . the o2 sensor plugs into the guage then the guage has a harness that you wire to power and ground zip tie it all up to the bars and go for a ride . it will tell you exactly where your at rich lean or whatever jet change needles or whatever you need to get the most from your engine pop it back off and on the shelf till you make changes to something else and repeat . now your not going to get horsepower numbers but you will get the most out of that engine you can get or anyone else either . and if you have to have those hp numbers you know full well when it gets run on that dyno hes not going to be able to try and soak you for extra cash saying he can get you 10 more horse if he just changes your jets or sets your timing and you know he isn't going to blow the motor because its leaner than you thought and he revs it to 8 grand . just a thought
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Re: carb tuning

Post by budoka »

haven't heard of those, but now ya gots me curious. gonna have ta look into one of those once i've got the knuck up and running. thanks!

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

hey curt, is this the one you're talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/AEM-30-4110-UEGO ... B00N3VGPYS

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

yes it is tons of videos on you tube . hope to see that knuck going too
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

That will only work with carbs, and not FI?
I ask because I don't know jacks**t about this.

My brother owns an 1983?? inline 4 Kawasaki Concours with 4 carbs.
He tunes it himself , but he has no air/fuel gauge.
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

it will work with fi but fi usually has its own that feeds back to the computer to control how much fuel to add on its own and dosent have a readout you can see . fi will have a certain amount of self adjustment to it within the pre programed limits the o2 sensor just tells the computer where the ratio is at and the computer tries to adjust the injectors to keep it at a certain level . factory systems like to run a little lean to meet emissions race or custom setups tend to run richer for added horsepower . most bikes with multi carbs use vacume gauges on all 4 carbs at the same time to balance out the carbs tons of videos on youtube
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

curt wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:12 pm it will work with fi but fi usually has its own that feeds back to the computer to control how much fuel to add on its own and dosent have a readout you can see . fi will have a certain amount of self adjustment to it within the pre programed limits the o2 sensor just tells the computer where the ratio is at and the computer tries to adjust the injectors to keep it at a certain level . factory systems like to run a little lean to meet emissions race or custom setups tend to run richer for added horsepower . most bikes with multi carbs use vacume gauges on all 4 carbs at the same time to balance out the carbs tons of videos on youtube
Thanks.

I did some Ytube viewing on the topic.

To me , this is preferable to a dyno tune.
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

me too . nobody reving your stuff to the max or beyond and you can dial it in for real world riding not just max power

Return to “General Technical Matters”