My girder & frame project - Anything blatantly wrong?

Try using this area for frontend information.
Nero
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm an informatic engineer who just happened to leave his (relatively well paid) job to follow his passion and going to work at minimum wage as a CAD designer and a welder in a CNC laser cutting & general sheet metal fabrication shop.
In the meanwhile, I try to build a killer bike with whatever I have at hand...

Re: My girder & frame project - Anything blatantly wrong?

Post by Nero »

Ok, I'll start from turning the cups and the neck - then I will go on onto girder's tube bending (bending only, just to get some feeling with the bender - they're easier) and then on to build the frame. After this I'll assemble the girder, realise that it isn't right, and then build the second one... :twisted: :mrgreen:

And now, just because you were all so kind, you will be the first to have a sneak preview on the finished bike (worked crazy night hours to finish it....) :shhh:
Vote the color combination that you like the most! (off course any kind of suggestions are always welcome.. ;) ) :popcorn:

Ah and what about the thrust washers? Waddaya think about teflon? (extra voting points for whoever answers lol... :dance: )
Choppa Color1.JPG
Choppa Color1.JPG (86.97 KiB) Viewed 2776 times
Choppa Color2.JPG
Choppa Color2.JPG (79.28 KiB) Viewed 2776 times
Choppa Color2_1.JPG
Choppa Color2_1.JPG (60.03 KiB) Viewed 2776 times
What I'm currently working at (and some free Italian's lessons also :D ) : http://costafabbricustomchoppers.blogspot.com/
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

im thinking while it looks cool havein the headlight mounted down low there your gonna be replacing bulbs like mad
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
concrete guy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just an Iowa country boy that has been pouring concrete for over 30 years. I have been around for awhile. I have watched 3 forums come and go. I built my first chop with the help of the great guys on this forum. I plan on building a few more. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I don't have the 200 word in me this morning! 8)

Post by concrete guy »

Looks good....proportions seem off the the distance between the bottom rails. You have mad skills with that software. What are you using?

My head light has been mounted there for a few years now ........same bulb.

Teflon washer?????? Wouldn't do it. I have some on my forward controls....and I think they suck. They seem to really gum up badly from road grime and rain water. You could also run two short flanged oil lite bushings in one link hole. But before you go to all that trouble, I would just mail ya some.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

The blue is great. What do you think of the frame blue too?
Nero
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm an informatic engineer who just happened to leave his (relatively well paid) job to follow his passion and going to work at minimum wage as a CAD designer and a welder in a CNC laser cutting & general sheet metal fabrication shop.

Post by Nero »

I draw it with Solidworks. Solidedge should be another good one, but I've never had a chance to try it personally.
Otherwise there is Google SketchUp which is a good choice for a newbie, at a good price also (it's free... :mrgreen: - just be sure to download the right version, there is also a payment version). It's less powerful compared to the other two, but very easy and quick, once you get a grasp on it. (less crowded with buttons also).

As far as the washers, I would need a total of 16 of them (4 per link), 18mm ID, 25mm OD, 3mm thick, or something like that, if needed I could turn them down, or enlarge the hole.. Let me know if you can find them in metric, in case I've got a good freight forwarder in Miami so that you don't have to go through the hassle of the international shipping.. ;)
What I'm currently working at (and some free Italian's lessons also :D ) : http://costafabbricustomchoppers.blogspot.com/
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

I think the blue looks good too.What I think would look cool is to polish the frame & girder, & have them cleared.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
rakeNtrail
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just a grumpy old welder/chopperhedd Spent far too much time burning wire for a living but hey, one does have to pay the bills ya know! Worked shipyards and fab shops welding about everything stick, mig, tig and sub-arc. Both hand held and automated. Worked weekends in a Honda shop in the late 70's and in an all bike shop in the late 80's thru early 90's. Likes? Choppers, rock-N-roll, NRA and boobies! Dislikes? PC, VD, AARP & NAACP I'm pro business and totally against big government interfering in our daily lives. Live free or die baby and you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands. Do love little children and puppies though. Both of them can turn me into a 300lb. old softie!

Post by rakeNtrail »

The only thing that bothers me is that the girder legs are too short for my liking.
As a rolling frame with no motor, trans, tins, tanks, fuel or rider/passenger your
lower frame rails are sitting level. The only movable parts in the suspension is the
front end. So, where are the lower frame rails going to be after all that weight is added?
Far too low I'd suspect. JMHO
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

on the link angle, the way Gary mentions that he likes to set them up in the girder build cd, and consequently the way i set mine up, is to block up the front of the frame 1" above level to take all the weight off the forks, and weld in the shock mounts so that the links are level. that way, when the weight of the bike and rider and all are on the links, they are just slightly pointing upwards (like what you quoted).

now i can't speak for any other setup, and certainly am not trying to say the way anyone else has theirs set up is wrong, but i *can* tell you that this method described by Gary on the girder build CD both works, and is simple to figure out. if you have the CD, read it front to back, and then reread from page 105, where it's talking about link geometry. not saying it's the only way, just something for you to look at and think about. having more viewpoints is always good.

your CAD looks amazing, i'm in awe too. the only thing i'd ask is, do you already have all these parts you're talking about? judging by your measurements, i'm assuming you do. if you don't have them in hand, i'd advise you not to set anything too firmly in your head dimension wise until you do. what looks good on paper (or CAD) has a nasty habit of being a different creature when you actually start building.

and i would definitely use 2 nuts on the stem. i think vibration and constant loosening of the nut might be an issue if you only use a single nut.

i'll be looking forward to seeing your progress. anything i can do to help, just let me know.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Nero
Tourist

Post by Nero »

I've got the wheels, the shock the brake calipers and pumps. Oh and I've got the headlight also... :mrgreen:
All the rest will be hand made (well, at least I will try.. ;) )
I completely agree that from theory to practice there's an ocean (my bender isn't very precise to begin with.. :( ) and rakeNtrail make a good point too.. I think that I will definetly need to build the frame first, perhaps place some weight on it, and try to figure out the girder's legs length accordingly if the lower rails sit too low.. holy $hit, I'm afraid that I will need to build 3 girders to get one right.. :P :doh:
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

I'm sure you'll get it right fairly easily dude, you seem to be going about it the right way - you'll certainly gain some useful experience from this and I'll bet the next one takes you half as long :banana-dance:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

rakeNtrail
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just a grumpy old welder/chopperhedd Spent far too much time burning wire for a living but hey, one does have to pay the bills ya know! Worked shipyards and fab shops welding about everything stick, mig, tig and sub-arc. Both hand held and automated. Worked weekends in a Honda shop in the late 70's and in an all bike shop in the late 80's thru early 90's. Likes? Choppers, rock-N-roll, NRA and boobies! Dislikes? PC, VD, AARP & NAACP I'm pro business and totally against big government interfering in our daily lives. Live free or die baby and you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands. Do love little children and puppies though. Both of them can turn me into a 300lb. old softie!

Post by rakeNtrail »

Wait till the end to build your girder legs. You can always do a mockup of the legs with some 3/4" plywood.
In most cases if the front of the lower frame rails are @ 1.5" higher than the back at the roller stage then
the stance is about right with the final load on the bike. Still a killer layout to go by though. Nice work! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Nero
Tourist

Post by Nero »

Olite bushings just arrived, I should start the frame build in 2-3 weeks, if everything goes right.
In the meanwhile I've done another render, this time more "classy" look.. ;)
Choppa Color3.JPG
Choppa Color3.JPG (90.23 KiB) Viewed 2704 times
Nero
Tourist

Post by Nero »

Hi guys, I've started building some parts for the bike, specifically the girder's axcle plate, and a little doubt hitted my mind...
This is the axle&spacers I'm gonna use, taken directly from a Kawa ZX-12R:
Axle
Axle
DSCF0878.JPG (106.64 KiB) Viewed 2671 times
And this are the girder's axle "plate":
DSCF0879.JPG
DSCF0879.JPG (103.26 KiB) Viewed 2671 times
DSCF0881.JPG
DSCF0881.JPG (106.55 KiB) Viewed 2671 times
DSCF0882.JPG
DSCF0882.JPG (152.28 KiB) Viewed 2671 times
DSCF0884.JPG
DSCF0884.JPG (104.61 KiB) Viewed 2671 times
The complete assembly will look like this (imagine the girder's legs welded on top of the axle plates):
DSCF0885.JPG
DSCF0885.JPG (130.11 KiB) Viewed 2671 times

The question is: do you think that I should provide something to prevent the axle from rotating inside the fabricated sleeve (like a pin, or something, you know, commercial forks have that sort of clamping system to avoid it...), or once the axle will be tightened to the appropriate torque, it will not be a problem?

Many thanks guys!

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”