Two questions

Try using this area for frontend information.
Cycle-psycho
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I've loved motorcycles all my life! I have a 2006 Dyna that ive been customizing and I am now taking on the task of building a custom chopper!
I have some mechanical skills, but im not a professional mechanic or welder. Simply a home garage type of mechanic.

Two questions

Post by Cycle-psycho »

1. I have purchased a 25mm steering stem with threaded ends on both ends, now i need to attach it to my lower tree. Do i try to tap out the tree, which only has a pilot hole at the moment, to fit the threading, or would it be better to have the stem welded in? Also, its a stainless stem, is there any problems welding it to cold rolled steel?

2. What is the best way to press in the neck cups using home garage type tools? Should i press them in now while im building and mocking up, or wait until after paint? I want to press them in now so i can assemble everything as i go
-----------------
Cycle-psycho
2006 Dyna - with lots of goodies
2012 Ultima rigid - under construction
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: Two questions

Post by curt »

as far as the stem i know it will weld together but im not sure if it would be prone to cracking but as far as putting the cups in i usually use a 3/4 inch threaded rod and a couple nuts to put em in and i always put mine in before i paint so it helps with the mockup process i usually tape em off real well before i paint i have never had a problem
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Cycle-psycho
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I've loved motorcycles all my life! I have a 2006 Dyna that ive been customizing and I am now taking on the task of building a custom chopper!
I have some mechanical skills, but im not a professional mechanic or welder. Simply a home garage type of mechanic.

Post by Cycle-psycho »

Thanks Curt, that's an awesome idea about the threaded rod, I'll give it a go!
The stem perplexes me a bit. I would think the tapping of the hole would have to be spot on and straight, and then I would be relying on the threads that I cut to keep it all together. They are real fine machine thread (24 per inch, I believe). I'm just curious what others have done. I guess I could tap the hole and see how that goes, and if it doesn't give me all the confidence, then I could weld it, or maybe I should do both, since im drilling right through anyways.
-----------------
Cycle-psycho
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

if you tap the hole and use the threads i believe the plans call for a nut on the bottom of the tree to lock the stem i have never used this system but seems like it would be plenty strong and you would be able to change it if needed
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Cycle-psycho
NewB

Post by Cycle-psycho »

Ill have to check the plans again.
I used the threaded rod method to pull the neck cups into the frame and it worked like a charm! I even managed to get the lower one lined up perfectly for the steering stop, so I'm thrilled!
thanks again Curt.
-----------------
Cycle-psycho
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Stainless steel and carbon steel are different enough that generally, special welding procedures need to be followed to
get a quality weld. A steering stem is not the place that I would be willing to take a chance on a failure.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Post by sleepyonthree »

As Curt mentioned, allthread rod and big washers work like a charm. Here's and example of whats sold
for putting in cups and races. The offset hole is to allow use on raked cups
Attachments
fork cup installation tool.jpg
fork cup installation tool.jpg (21.57 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

If I used a stainless stem, as in this case, it seems the safest would be thread it to the bottom tree.
Cycle-psycho
NewB

Post by Cycle-psycho »

Yes, i agree. I will be looking into tapping the lower tree.
Thanks for the advise.
-----------------
Cycle-psycho
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

Are you absolutely sure the stem is stainless steel. That's pretty unusual for a thread as fine as the harley neck bolt?
Cycle-psycho
NewB

Post by Cycle-psycho »

I got the stem from bitter end, and it says its stainless on the website. Unless im on heroin.
http://www.bitterendchoppers.com/SpringerParts.html
Its a nice piece!
-----------------
Cycle-psycho
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

i buy stuff from them big al seems like a real helpful guy
triker_chewie
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: chewie from perth western australia. i'm triking up a vw and chopping up a yamaha and repairing broken tools. jeez 200 characters is a lot. GOT A WIFE AND KIDS SPENDING ALL MY PLAY MOEY ON FOOD AND CLOTHES AND OTHER USELESS SHIT sorry bout the caps put them on for the code thing

Post by triker_chewie »

Cycle-psycho wrote:I got the stem from bitter end, and it says its stainless on the website. Unless im on heroin.
http://www.bitterendchoppers.com/SpringerParts.html
Its a nice piece!
it does say stainless. but that dont mean your not on drugs :D
Cycle-psycho
NewB

Post by Cycle-psycho »

OK, so I got the lower tripple tree tapped for the stem, and it seems to fit into their nicely, but I am seeing an issue. The stem has 1" of threaded area on both ends. My trees are 3/4" thick, so the stem just barely sticks out the lower end of the lower tree, so it is not possible to install a jam nut under the lower tree, is this an issue?
Also, I see that I now only have 1" of threaded area at the top for fastening, I dont think this will leave me enough room to install lock washers and jam nuts under the tree and then have room atop for the acorn nut. So im confused as to how long the threaded area should be, or how to assemble the lock nuts, tabbed washer, jam nut, then tree, then acorn over 1" of threaded area with a 3/4" thick tree?
Am I missing something here?
-----------------
Cycle-psycho
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

The locknut and jamnut each will take up an eighth, part of the jam nut extended into the tree by about a quarter inch. The acorn nut extends down into the tree by an quarter of an inch so you should have an extra 1/8" or so of excess thread. Most Big Twin necks I've bought have about 1.5" of thread at the top and a 3/4" shoulder on the bottom for welding. The jam nut on the bottom is not needed as most folks just tack the bottom end like a factory installation. I'm looking for a picture of the assembly.

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”