SPRINGER QUESTION

Try using this area for frontend information.
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Re: SPRINGER QUESTION

Post by Maxthegardener »

and maybe a need to buy big toy? lol.. currently saving for a tig, milling machine and a couple of bender dies.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Maxthegardener wrote:and maybe a need to buy big toy? lol.. currently saving for a tig, milling machine and a couple of bender dies.
What projects do you have planned for your toys?

Good move.
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Well still getting round to the buell....been much on the back boiler..lol but made a few pieces recently engine mounts light mount , had a load of stainless scrap from a buddy so sticking to a theme of stainless parts. My buddy who is a precision engineer, has taken a business on in Perth and has all the necessary 'toys' lol... but as much as he offers to help I would like my own kit, although we have talked about doing something as a business opportunity .....we'll see..At the mo we are both doing a Certified Tig couse at night college, which will be great to be able to use competantly..Just hoping the economy picks up..! or we'll stick to home projects which probably is the best way forward...cuts out the customer element lol

Iam with Gary on this one ....cut that finished Hans!! :popcorn:
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

www.homemadetools.net , www.backyardmetalcasting.com , www.alloyavenue.com and www.instructables.com are all good resources for anyone that wants to create one off bike or car parts in metal !

Creating a pattern from easily carved and shaped materials that are cheap and plentiful in order to pour molten metal into a mold is far easier than machining that part from billet ! And in some cases creating a part that is next to impossibe to create by machining alone !
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

Home casting is a great endeavor but for structural parts you really need to pay attention to what you're doing and unfortunately 'home-casting' does not lend itself to high density cast parts. In most cases cast-at-home parts are about 25% air, 25% waste alloy and then about 50% poured materials so strength is about one half to one third of a cheap casting from a real foundry. I'm not putting it down but to get set up properly costs a lot of money unless you just need the typical 'sand-cast' type non-structural parts. It's a good way to make anything that isn't placed under stress but as to 'casting' trees or something like that I wouldn't want to be riding that particular project.
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

gww25 wrote:...It's a good way to make anything that isn't placed under stress but as to 'casting' trees or something like that I wouldn't want to be riding that particular project.
That's not a rule is it? lol

I would have to agree. I used to work in a foundry and the spent alot of time testing and adding alloy, fluxing and retesting.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Maxthegardener wrote:Well still getting round to the buell....been much on the back boiler..lol but made a few pieces recently engine mounts light mount , had a load of stainless scrap from a buddy so sticking to a theme of stainless parts....................At the mo we are both doing a Certified Tig couse at night college.
I can understand about the "scrap". I have my stash of re-cycled metal in the garage, and it drives the others crazy. I keeps getting bigger.

How long does the certified course take. They don't offer it in evenings here, wish they did.

Anyway, its all good; new skills, new projects.
Maxthegardener
Builder

Post by Maxthegardener »

lol.. Iam the same but you got to be sensible, the 'scrap' I have left is pretty good luckily, just leftover from cnc milling machines from a local factory, they make the lifts from the ambulances so its all good. round flat bar sheet, good for spacers or such like, weighed all outside stuff in, a while ago so cleared the yard ...much to my wifes relief!! lol..

Yeah the course is good, its a moduler type of thing, been there since January, so I could keep going to some sort of industry standard, its oil around the east coast, which I think would be a little outwidth my mission, and I think mig is what the industry requires...really don't know tbh? but the other students are learning mig, with a desire to get out to the rigs..its seems pretty old school here though? stick is popular mig next....and tig? nah, is the usual reply lol....but I love it...nice clean, really enjoy it, and especially as I can swot up via Tips and Tricks..Jody is a fantastic online tutor...always going back to the class with something to try..lol

need to get my season up and going then slot back into garage and riding time...big plans take much time..& money lol
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Maxthegardener wrote:My buddy who is a precision engineer, has taken a business on in Perth and has all the necessary 'toys'
The following link is an interesting product line. I know a few car guys who regularly build custom cars. Having these available can save a lot of fab time.

https://www.welderseries.com/blog/

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”