Lowering Hydraulic forks

Frontend, suspensions and handling posts.
Fattracker
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello fellow chopper fanatics. I have wanted to build a harley for quite some time now. I am pretty handy but know nothing about harley builds or metal fabrication. I have to build my own due to lack of funds. I know I will learn a lot from this site. I am looking to get a sportster and convert to a rigid bobber. So that's my goal. Pleasure to meet you all!

Lowering Hydraulic forks

Post by Fattracker »

I am just researching now. Don't have a bike yet. All I've done so far is purchase a welder (Lincoln Pro Mig 180) so I can start to learn how to weld.
I wanted to know what the cheapest/easiest way to lower hydraulic forks? Yet keeping the same or close to the same suspension characteristics as stock.
I like the look of Cole Foster's blue bike build. There is a "Biker Build off" where he lowers his forks. He talks about cutting the fork sliders. But he doesn't show or explain exactly how he does it. Does anybody out there know his method?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UikC0d1 ... ults_video[/youtube]

I've found some other info. Some people modify them by using spacers, others by cutting fork springs, others by cutting and welding dampening rod.
I don't want to go out and buy a new set of lowered forks and I think it is more rewarding and more fun to make as many modifications myself as possible. Even if it means a steep learning curve.
So I would appreciate any information on this subject.
Thanks.
Gabriel
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Re: Lowering Hydraulic forks

Post by railroad bob »

This place...

http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/

makes under and over length fork tubes. They've been in business for many years.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Fattracker
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello fellow chopper fanatics. I have wanted to build a harley for quite some time now. I am pretty handy but know nothing about harley builds or metal fabrication. I have to build my own due to lack of funds. I know I will learn a lot from this site. I am looking to get a sportster and convert to a rigid bobber. So that's my goal. Pleasure to meet you all!

Post by Fattracker »

Thanks Railroad!
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

I have been on this site before. The tutorial may give you some pointers.

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=45166
BIGJIM
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am not a bum. I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.

Post by BIGJIM »

railroad bob wrote:This place...

http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/

makes under and over length fork tubes. They've been in business for many years.
The home of 53 cats!
Fattracker
NewB

Post by Fattracker »

Thanks "hansgoudzwaard"
That's a great tutorial. Information is very helpful.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Fattracker wrote:Thanks "hansgoudzwaard"
That's a great tutorial. Information is very helpful.
There is info/tutorials for many makes of bikes out there. I have never done this alteration, but I would feel comfortable doing my own considering the quality of the information available.
Fattracker
NewB

Post by Fattracker »

hansgoudzwaard wrote: There is info/tutorials for many makes of bikes out there. I have never done this alteration, but I would feel comfortable doing my own considering the quality of the information available.
Yes I found a few good ones. This one seems to be the best at explaining not just step by step, but why those steps should be taken. Also, the pitfalls if modification is overdone.

This one found this illustration which I thought very helpful in visualizing the inner of a fork http://racetech.com/html_files/DampingRodForks.HTML
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Return to “Forks, Rake and Trail, Suspension Systems”