Help with Wiring Diagram

Please use this area for post and questions about the mysteries of motorcycle wiring.
Boone
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am building my first custom after heavily modifying 2 HD Softails. I am here to hopefully get some help when I run into problems that I am sure will pop up. If needed hopefully some of my personal experiences will be able to help some of you.

Help with Wiring Diagram

Post by Boone »

I am adding 6 switches to my PM Contour Controls along with a new Dakota Digital Speedo, and front and rear signals. I am going to need to rewire my bike to add all these switches and components. Is anyone out there interested in helping me with a wiring diagram. Or does anyone know of where I could go to get some help with getting one drawn up. I'm confident with a complete wiring diagram specific to my bike I will have limited problems getting my bike rewired. Any help is appreciated.

Boone.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Re: Help with Wiring Diagram

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Boone
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am building my first custom after heavily modifying 2 HD Softails. I am here to hopefully get some help when I run into problems that I am sure will pop up. If needed hopefully some of my personal experiences will be able to help some of you.

Post by Boone »

Thanks for the diagrams I got my translator coming over tonight so we can try and figure out one that works for my bike. In the meantime anyone out there ever bought a wiring harness for example a Scooter's performance harness? If so please share your thoughts on it good or bad? I'm trying to avoid the cost of these harness as they seem way over priced.
Boone
NewB

Post by Boone »

Still having some problems figuring out where and what size circuit breakers i should use.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer? Ultimately, they have the most knowledge about your product.
There may be best recommendations that will vary depending on what you have on your bike.
You haven't given us much to go on. Location will vary depending on type of bike, frame style, what covers you have, is it a new custom or an existing bike you are modifying, etc.
It's OK to ask questions, but we need background if you want any response with substance.
I personally have only bought one harness, but it's not installed yet, so no experience to offer.
A harness may seem overpriced, but consider you are paying for the work to design a product, marketing, storefront, etc.
If you don't want to pay for that, you'll need to make your own, which means research and more research.
Once you start pricing materials, and consider your time, it might seem more worthwhile to ya.
Ultimately it boils down to Time and Money. Which do you have more of? Which can you afford?
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Boone
NewB

Post by Boone »

My bike is a full custom built from the ground up. It originally was wired with a custom harness. Since moving to Canada I am adding 6 switches for my PM Contour controls 3 per side these will run added signals front and rear, hi/low beam, start, stop, and horn. I also need to wire high beam low beam through my Speedometer. There are existing wires for speed sensor, transmission(gear), and oil pressure that ran to old speedometer. The speedo I am adding is a Dakota Digital http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/ ... prd509.htm. I'm not sure if it would be easier to rewire entire bike or would you suggest just adding to the harness that is there? Hope this paints a better picture. If you more details will help let me know.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Boone wrote: The speedo I am adding is a Dakota Digital [url]http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/ ... /prd509.ht
They have a good tech section to check out.

Example....http://www.dakotadigital.com/pdf/HLY-3011c.pdf

Return to “Electrical and Wiring”