Chopsmitty Pro Shadow

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
chopsmitty
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello! I'm one of Michigan's top true custom chopper builders still in the game. I have carved a niche in the market as 'the guy who does everything except Harley based stuff', but that is changing slowly as I develop an appreciation for the single pin engines.

Chopsmitty Pro Shadow

Post by chopsmitty »

Don't know if you guys got to see this on the old board, so I'll post it up here. I'm kind of proud of how it turned out.

Customer brought me his stripped down Honda Shadow and a small bag of money :liar:
I cut the frame in three pieces to free the engine and started measuring. Turned up a steering neck and got to bending tubes on the jig.
Same roll formed piece of tubing:
High Tech tubing notcher!
chopsmitty
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello! I'm one of Michigan's top true custom chopper builders still in the game. I have carved a niche in the market as 'the guy who does everything except Harley based stuff', but that is changing slowly as I develop an appreciation for the single pin engines.

Re: Chopsmitty Pro Shadow

Post by chopsmitty »

3" ride height hard tail - not for the faint of heart!
Stainless seat brackets:
Jackshaft:
Brake mounted on jackshaft!
Tank tunnel isn't ideal - so just made a quick panel
chopsmitty
Tourist

Post by chopsmitty »

chopsmitty
Tourist

Post by chopsmitty »

chopsmitty
Tourist

Post by chopsmitty »

Frame sent to QC Coatings for mirror black powdercoating.
chopsmitty
Tourist

Post by chopsmitty »

I did the hydrographics on the tins. Turned out pretty darn nice.
chopsmitty
Tourist

Post by chopsmitty »

Finished assembly and hauled it off to Sturgis. Started in November 2010 - finished first of August 2011. Remember I work a 'real' full time job - this stuff doesn't pay the bills yet.
We entered this in the AMD World Championships of Custom Bike Building since the white chop didn't get done at the powdercoaters...
It didn't finish high in the judging but - it was built to be a rider and built on a budget. I learned a ton at the AMD and will be back next year with the white bike!

Won another local show after we got back from Sturgis... good times.
Big-Steve
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a retired construction electrician, 65 years old been playing with bikes off and on for over 45 years now live in Sedro Woolley Washington was one of first members of the old board after following Gary from chopper web. Now ride a Yamaha Road Star and have four other project bikes waiting have two total knee replacements and L&I has decided to retrain me so am back in college learning Auto Cad, Solidworks, and Catia so when I grow up I can re-enter the job market

Post by Big-Steve »

Man that's one nice looking shadow, as usual fantastic work, and great paint.
But I was really partial to the original blue seat support. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Steve
Jim Sawyer
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 25,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it

Post by Jim Sawyer »

Very nice work!!!
I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 71,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it
Neo Dutch
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Intereseted in all thing motorcycling, particularly modifications folk do to their bikes. Admire quality design and workmanship. Not so keen on bolt-on parts, but they have their place in the world. Not everyone can be a master machinist, welder or spray painter, but that won't stop me from trying. Great admirer of master engravers and have been working hard for several years to improve my skills in this most difficult of crafts. Also enjoy pin striping, and am fairly good at it.
Favourite food is Spam. Here's some good recipes www.pinheadlounge.com/neodutch . Kill Flanders.

Post by Neo Dutch »

Placing in the AMD is not an indication of a bikes "worthiness" to be classed as the best (or not) in the world. This bike got 22nd place and I'm a little bit ashamed to say that it came from Australia. It's not much more than a polished speedway bike (Solo's are awesome BTW) with a stupid tank and more stupid pike nuts.

Saw an iterview with the "builder" who said he built the frame and stretched it forward and back to make it more streetable. Can't see where though.

Even though very little of your bike to to my taste, it's a million times more custom than the one pictured and you have a right to be proud of your efforts. Well done.
The tell tale tickle of ashphalt on the sagging underbelly of my lowered expectations.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

i definitely didn't see that one on the old board. frakin' awesome job. i'd better not let my Shadow see those pics or it may get an inferiority complex :shock: .

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

phooooar! :D
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

:clap: :clap: :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Speechless :shifty:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

The tins are very nice.

Do you mean that you created the design, or that you have hydrographic facilities in your shop, or both?

Food for thought.
chopsmitty
Tourist

Post by chopsmitty »

We do hydrographics. The pattern is called 'Reaper'. Very cost effective way to paint a bike!

Return to “Project Build-Logs”