Dusty's Bonneville Scout Build

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Re: Dusty's Bonneville Scout Build

Post by budoka »

good on ya for taking the time to fix it right. nice to have a lathe big enough to do that kind of work.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

At 12 X 36 it's the absolute minimum you can get by with.
Here's the other side I'm turning the od of the main bearing boss down so I can shrink a steel sleeve on it.
I started a 1935 today the sealing surface cleaned right up at .004" but some idiot broke the threads off the end of the main bearing boss. I welded one of these up once and it took forever to weld and machine. So I turned this one off flush wit where the bottom of the threads should be and am going to make a steel sleeve with the needed threads and shrink it on.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

creative solution to a hard problem. consider that one filed away for future reference!

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Made the sleeve for the 37

Heated to 953 degrees f and it slid right on, at -.009" I suspect it's there to stay and should strengthen things up a bit.
Dusty
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Turned a length of shaft to 2" and threaded it 16 TPI LH squaring the end up in this pic
Drilled a little pilot hole
Big enough to get a boring bar in
Parting off with a hacksaw to save material ( I buy this stuff by the inch)
Parted off
In the fixture for more machining
Boring to size
Cutting the left hand spiral that is as close to an oil seal as a 30s Indian Scout had there.
Sleeve shrunk in place and the nut torqued.
Dusty
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

The other case half I'm going to use with the 35 left side is probably 39 or later if the pushrod guides are original to it. It had a tiny crack .
Then I discovered that the pinion race bore is well machined just to an odd size that isn't available now if it ever was. So I started making a pinion race with a .0075 oversize OD.
This drill bit in rockwell 45 shaft is all the little Atlas Craftsman wanted even in back gear.
Dusty
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Forgot to get a shot of boring to size and parting. Boiled the case for 3 or 4 minutes and the race drove in at a medium hammer fit.
Dusty
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Got lucky on fleebay didn't really need this case half but for $49.00 I'll fix it just in case (Bad Pun)
Started making rocker arm shaft bushings seemed easier to make bushings to fit than to set the cases up in the mill and bore to a standard oversize.
First one parted off.
Ready to push in.
Will start making the shafts in a day or three. Making them out of Rockwell C75 pins so will have to be ground.
Dusty
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Welp melted the armature in the Dumore so I made a line hone instead
And started honing the main bearings.
Checking progress
Out of 4 cases I saved all but 2 races. I had one drive shaft race in stock and the other should be here Friday. So Im kinda stalled and decided it is time to order the Nitrous stuff. Does anybody here have any Nitrous experience? I'm prolly gonna go with Nitrous Express unless somebody has a better suggestion.
Dusty
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Since I'm a firm believer in not sandblasting cases and these needed cleaning.
I gave em a little soak in warm Pinesol.
then ran em in the dishwasher.
Got a few goodies today.
Dusty
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Good tips, re. cleanup. Thanks.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Just pure Pine Sol The generic knockoffs don't work at all they don't have the right kind of acid. Any kind of pan seems to work, Don't heat it too hot I try to keep it just as hot as I can stand to put my hands in. The occasional wipe with a stainless pot scrubber hurrys things along. When I'm pretty sure it's clean enough I run it through the dishwasher. When the Pine Sol in the pan is cool I dip off the nasty stuff at the top then strain it through a rag back into the bottle for next time. As long as you don't boil it and strain the oil out it works again and again.

Dusty
OBTW
Don't decide to put pinesol in the dishwasher as a shortcut! It'll fill the kitchen knee deep with suds!
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Got a little more of the alcohol fuel system.
Dusty
budoka
Site Admin

Post by budoka »

LOL! now how did you know putting the PineSol in the dishwasher equals a bubble bath for the kitchen?
i'll definitely remember the cleaning tip, thanks.

Looks like you're rolling right along. Any date in mind by which you're hoping to be finished?

take care,
-dan
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

It seemed like a good idea at the time! I'm hoping to finish it enough to begin testing some time this winter. Been tied up with work on my damned Suburban and the Scout I want to take to Raton this year, but should be back at it soon.
Dusty

Return to “Project Build-Logs”