62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Re: 62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post by 2Loose »

Yeah, I thought I might have to make up something to fit that recess where the copper washer goes, got lucky with Napa, it only took the slightest amount of filing to get that ID to fit the 10 mm banjo bolt...
I'm looking forward to seeing how well this '84 Suzuki disk brake works on this bike, I rode it for 20 years with either no brake, or the stock '62 HD drum brake, which was barely a hill holder, pretty worthless as a brake....
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Post by 2Loose »

The Crankcase Breather...

Put a 5/16" brass barbed 90 on the upper hose....

Looks a lot better now....
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Meanwhile, back to the carb....

Since I had sealed the float mounting screw with shellac,
and later found that it deteriorated in E10 gasoline, I had to
try to clean that up....

The top of the mounting screw....

Pulled the float out and turned it over....

I need to clean this stuff off so it doesn't come apart in the
float bowl and cause a problem later on....

So I stuck the float in a jar of E10 gas and will let it soak awhile

It should fall apart and peel off, then I can redo the attachment
and float adjustment using small star washers to lock it in place....
The faster I go, the behinder I get....
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

I'm still watching, and I thank you for the quality of your input and the close-up pictures.

Everytime I look at your posts I learn something. A huge Thanks. :bow-blue: :bow-blue:
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

This is the short version, there's more pix HERE.....

The E10 fuel did this in two days...

But it cleaned up nicely...

Starting to work with the "Snap" throttle setup...

And had to make a threaded adapter for the 5/16" cable end to fit into the 3/8" hole on the throttle grip....

Trying to find the skinny cable for this throttle setup on this island is near impossible !!
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

I'm going to try to fit this glass bullet lens on this old tail light housing....

Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

I usually order the stuff to make cables from Flanders. So I end up with cables that fit like I want. It only takes a few minutes to make a cable.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Been awhile since I set up cables, found some ss cable the right size at a fishing supply house locally...

Short version below, More Pix over HERE...

Soldered fittings on the end of the cable...

It went together nicely...

Lightly greased the inside of the cable and the throttle grip...

Had to fuss with the throttle grip and the fork stops to make sure the throttle cable cleared the front brake handle at full stop, and the gas tank at full right turn...

Allen screws on the lower tripple tree provide adjustable stops for the front forks...

Ran into a small problem when fitting up the snap throttle at the carb...

The cable anchor fitting and the throttle lever on the snap throttle setup hit the center frame mount for the heads...

That snap throttle is going to require some modification in order to work properly.
Right now the throttle will not close completely....

More later...
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Had a few minutes to go by the shop and mess with the throttle setup on the bike...

Some modifications are required....
So I flipped the cable anchor screw upside down on the throttle lever....
I clears just barely, will have to keep an eye on it....
But for now it is functioning just fine....
Short video....
https://youtu.be/5xoRUAGVIM4

Was feeling pretty good about it, so I poured about a quart of fresh gas in the tank, opened the petcock, let the hose and carb slowly fill, and horrors !!!! the float was not shutting off, gas was over flowing the bowl !! Gotta look at that later, ran out of time for today...
More Later....
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Sometimes you have to coat the jet well with chalk or dry erase marker and invert the carb and then right it several times to mark the float for contact. If you can't move the float on its mount enough to eliminate the contact It won't hurt Cottons floats to scrape a little for clearance.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

I didn't try just tapping on the side of the carb bowl with a wrench, that might loosen up the float, then will try other things if that doesn't work...
And the gasket on the float bowl seems to not seal very well, the gas overflowed pretty freely....
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Checking out why the carb bowl is overflowing, and I need to recheck the float setting,,,,
Pulled the carb off, not an easy task, but left the cable connected, as I did not want to disturb that setup.....
It appears that I did not get enough offset to the left of the jet column in this photo below, adjusted and rechecked it several times before I was satisfied with it, maybe........
With the bowl removed, and held upside down, I could blow gently into the fuel inlet and see if the needle is closed. I could work the float up and down with my finger, and check if the air flow was being turned on and off...
Then I could make adjustments to the float position, blow into the fuel inlet to check that the float was closed, then gently lower the bowl into position on the inverted carb, and gently blow into the fuel inlet and check if it had stayed closed or if the float had rubbed on the jet column and opened up....

After several adjustments I think I finally got it, but am out of fuel, so will check it later when I get more fuel up to the shop....
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Yup, the carb float is working, a little fuel went in and then it stopped...
And no leaks...
Gettin' close to start up....
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

nice lookin ride man
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Thanks, it was a very dependable and fun ride for about 20 years, until I just wore it out and parked it in the shed, and started riding newer stuff. Hope I've got it so's I can enjoy it the same for many more years...
The old 16 over tubes for the front end I had originally gotten from "Forking by Frank"...
http://franksforks.com/
They had gotten in pretty bad shape, but Frank's was still in business, and I was able to get new 16 over tubes, and rebuild the bushings in the sliders to get a nice fit. New innards nearly everywhere else, pretty much the same way it was way back when. Doubt I'll be doing any long mainland runs on this bike like I used to do, but ya just never know....
The first time I shipped this bike to the mainland from Hawaii for a long ride was in '75, shipped it to SF and did a 6 week solo ride. Did the Sturgis trip for a couple of days, it was still small time back then, but was growing fast into a major event, but still a lot of fun. But even back then I was amazed at the number of folks who trailered their rides to close by, and then just rode the last few miles in to Sturgis. Sorta defeats the whole idea of going there in my opinion....

Return to “Project Build-Logs”