quick spring compresser for springers

Use this section for posts concerning tools and equipment like benders and notchers for example.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

quick spring compresser for springers

Post by curt »

springer 13 009.jpg
springer 13 009.jpg (47.49 KiB) Viewed 2410 times
heres a quickly thrown together spring compresser its just some leftover scrap pieces of 1 inch tube and some 2 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch plate and 2 3/4 inch threaded rod and 4 nuts . i welded a nut on one side of each threaded rod then cut the tube till i had 4 pieces 2 1/2 inches long i cut the flat bar to 6 inches long and welded the tube to each side of both flat bars let it cool so i could handle it and it worked fine the only thing i would change if i was to build another i would use 1 1/4 inch tube instead of the 1 inch . when i was tightening it it would bend the rod a little because i was doing it myself i could only tighten one side at a time with the tube being a tight fit there was no room for the uneven ness of going back and forth so a little biger tube would be ideal i think . but it was totaly free ten minutes to build and did the job
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Re: quick spring compresser for springers

Post by Maz »

:text-goodpost:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Hi curt , very cool man. I was going to make one also for my springer build so i will follow how you did yours. :clap: :dance: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

I would allow a bit more clearance for the long studs/bolts so they don't bind up quite so easily, otherwise its darn perfect :clap:

Maz xx

curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

thanks hope it helps lots better than buying one for 50 bucks
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

Maz wrote:I would allow a bit more clearance for the long studs/bolts so they don't bind up quite so easily, otherwise its darn perfect :clap:

Maz xx
ya thats y i would change to the 1 1/4 tube instead of the 3/4
Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

that would do it for sure - I really like the simple design of this tool - easy to make and easy to use :clap: :clap: :clap:

Maz xx

curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

was real easy for me by myself
Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

that is the sign of a well designed piece of equipment :bow-blue:

I'll be making one for myself when I start my diamond springer build....

Maz xx

budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

dude, you're gonna be so mad. i made a compressor pretty much like you did, and then i was at Tomo's place when he needed a set of springs compressed. i took a minute to talk to another friend of ours and when i turned around, he already had it apart. when i asked him how he did it, he pointed to his ratcheting tie-down straps. i felt like a total idiot. :doh:

looks like you did a great job on it though.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

i thought about that but after reading garys article about doing it i didnt think it would hold up to the pressure oh well
Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

just goes to show some folks are more resourceful than the rest of us :clap: Respect to Tomo :bow-blue:

Maz xx

curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

no doubt theres always a beter way
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

dan i was watchin a rerun of biker buildoff with indian larry and mondo of denver choppers and they used a rachet strap on mondos assembly they only showed it fast but i did catch it
Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

maybe I won't ditch that old oil-stained ratchet strap after all....... :think:

Maz xx

Return to “Tools and Equipment”