62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Re: 62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post by 2Loose »

Am pretty unedumacated on tire sizing technology, does that oem HD, rear 16", spoked wheel, I have equate to a 130??
Precisely what is that, 130 mm ??
Inquiring minds want to know....
Willy
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

2Loose wrote:Am pretty unedumacated on tire sizing technology, does that oem HD, rear 16", spoked wheel, I have equate to a 130??
Precisely what is that, 130 mm ??
Inquiring minds want to know....
Willy
http://ridewrightwheels.com

I am using the chart, at the bottom of the page.
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Post by 2Loose »

Thanks, that helps....

Ran into a problem....

My "police special" high output fan cooled generator does not fit into my Denver's frame, the scroll cage for the fan hits the left downtube....

I think this frame is sized for the smaller 6v generator that most of the street bike panheads were fitted with,
so now I am looking for one of those....

If I had caught this before painting the frame, I could possibly have done a modification to the frame to
accomodate this generator, but too late now....
Willy
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Started putting the clutch together, question here, do these rollers for the clutch basket run dry? Or are they lubricated somehow? this clutch is a dry, open primary setup....
I'm considering putting a small amount of fiber type wheel bearing grease on these, but am afraid of that stuff getting into the clutch plates and screwing up the works....

Any ideas?

These are the clutch parts I'm running....
The clutch "fingers" look worn, but are just discolored, can't feel any grooves in them with my fingernail...

Willy
The faster I go, the behinder I get....
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

2Loose wrote:Started putting the clutch together, question here, do these rollers for the clutch basket run dry? Or are they lubricated somehow? this clutch is a dry, open primary setup....
I'm considering putting a small amount of fiber type wheel bearing grease on these, but am afraid of that stuff getting into the clutch plates and screwing up the works....

Any ideas?

Willy
I would not mess with the grease.

I could sure be wrong, but if it was me, I would check it out further.
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Did another trial fit of all the clutch parts....

Locked down the compressed spring pack, and took it apart again....

Then installed it with the belt, adjusted the belt to about 3/4" of flex from "neutral" to "down with thumb pressure"

Found this problem, the belt is just barely rubbing against the frame tube...

I'll have to put some spacers under the trans plate, probably 1/8" will do it...
More later...
Aloha,
Willy

Plenty more pix here...
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

I see you used the grease. I goofed. :angry-banghead:
The redo is looking real nice ; and clean too.
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

An early test setup, it just felt right, can't wait to really ride it...
Soon...
Willy
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Just an idle thought, if you are going to shim the trans up 1/4" would that same 1/4" under the engine make the genny clear?
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Hmmmmmm....
Hmmmmm...
and more
Hmmmm...

Kinda sounds like an idea....
Am working on another idea, will post pix when I get something worked out...
W.
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Pulled the shroud off the generator, no problem now!!!
Looking at modifying the shroud, no decision yet...
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Found some wheel bearing grease in my stash that looks good for the clutch hub bearings...

2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

I run solid footpegs, they act as "crash guards" if I go down.
Went down once, long time ago, and these pegs and the handlebars kept most of the bike up off the pavement, damage was minimal...

LINK to more pix (scroll down)
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

How complicated would it be to just make a new shroud ? I've done similar things on old equipment while in the navy ! Sheetmetal work aint that hard !!
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

gearhead1951 wrote:How complicated would it be to just make a new shroud ? I've done similar things on old equipment while in the navy ! Sheetmetal work aint that hard !!

That grease tin looks like just the right size. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Project Build-Logs”